An informative article about the main kinds of transportations in Phu Quoc. Hope after this article you will be able to choose the correct and suitable way of transporting around Phu Quoc without any difficulties and problems.
With the new International airport now located in Duong To Commune – the distance from here to the Duong Dong (which is where most of the hotel reports are) is about 10 km away. There is a wide variety of transport options available on arrival at Phu Quoc International Airport. The majority of resorts have organized airport pick up services as these are located south of Duong Dong along Long Beach, for others taxi’s or motorbikes are available and some guest houses and hotels will be at the airport to greet you offering free transport to their establishments if you stay with them.
It is more than likely that the transport will find you before you find the transport, however here is a brief summary of the options available to give you a head start;
- Top End Resorts have pick-up services if you provide your flight details
- Motorbike taxis can take you to Long beach from 20,000 VND (but don’t quote us on this) or can be hired along with a driver for longer periods during your stay. Daily rates start from US$10 per day. Best tip is to always negotiate the price!
- Motorbike rental is more commonly found outside hotels and in town, and motorbikes can be rented by or from US$10 per day.
- Car and 4WD Taxis are available for short distances, daily rental or longer periods. The main provider is www.phuquoctaxi.com, alternatively, there are private drivers that can also provide these services, though the condition of their vehicles may vary.
- Whether you arrive in Phu Quoc by air or sea, there is a wide variety of transport options for getting around the island, from the back of a motorbike to being guided around the island with a driver in a 4WD vehicle, here’s a brief outline:
Most top end resorts and various private tour operators provide services to the islands that are about 30 minutes by boat south of An Thoi Town. Also, taking a brief tour along Duong Dong River can be an interesting way of experience life along the water ways. Some hotels can arrange for boat tours, otherwise, consider asking a local boat owner. Further away in Cua Can River, local fishermen may be able to take you around the waterways of town and a little further on a lovely white sandy peninsula.
There is a basic bus service that runs every couple of hours between An Thoi and Duong Dong. When ferries arrive at An Thoi Port, there is usually a bus waiting to take visitors to Duong Dong, just look out for buses displaying “Huong Toan”. Many of the top end resorts like Saigon Phu Quoc provide a shuttle service to and from the airport. Resort buses will be waiting at the airport for you if you have a booking in advance.
Renting a self-driven vehicle on Phu Quoc Island is not possible unless you have a Vietnamese driver’s license and a permanent registered address on the island. The best option is to hire a car or 4WD with a driver/guide.
There are a number of private owners willing to offer their services which can be found at the airport on arrival. Alternatively www.sascophuquoc.vn has a range of vehicles with drivers for rent. Prices start from around US$25 per day, increasing depending on the size of the vehicle, distances traveled and rental periods.
To be continued…
For the next article and more Travel tips, please return to our front page.